Thursday, March 4, 2010

Turn your life into an RPG

Today I found this article that reflects exactly what I want to try and do with my life, and this idea I am trying to share with my readers, all 4 of them. :)

Note: This article is from BBSpot, which is esentially a geeky version of The Onion, so this article was written for laughs, but still has some really good points.

Geek Overcomes Social Anxiety by Turning Life into RPG

Here's the tl;dr:
A dude from Florida was suffering from social anxiety. He then decides that it is time to "join the party" and actively seek social interaction. He decides to log in exp into his PDA (Yes, PDA) and improves his interaction.

Since this is from BBSpot, I'm sure you can pick up on the "poking fun at nerds/geeks" vibe. I don't like that part. I think that this real life = RPG idea has some weight to it, and am going to come up with some way to implement this into my life, and find a way to share it with others.

Now about that social anxiety... I suffer from general anxiety. I also have a moderate level of social anxiety. Today I had a general anxiety attack at work, and asked to go home after lunch. I have been keeping a handle on that for a few years now, little by little. The main thing I have been working on has been to recognize when I am having an anxiety attack, identifying the triggers, and calming myself down. <=Leveling up my anxiety defense

I am proud of myself today. I felt the adrenaline surges of my anxiety attack, but kept my cool, finished my work, and asked to go home. I get major exp for not freaking out or embarrassing myself. (Which has happened in the past)

+25 for me, and +6 for you reading this!

More on how I have been leveling up my anxiety defense to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment